Please Like & Share Us

FacebookMySpaceTwitterDiggDeliciousStumbleuponGoogle BookmarksRedditNewsvineTechnoratiLinkedinMixxRSS FeedPinterest
Pin It
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Aluva Manapuram

 

 

Aluva(Alwaye)

Aluva, home to the summer residency of the Travancore royal family - the Alwaye Palace -[2] is also famous for theSivarathri festival celebrated annually at the sandbanks of Periyar. The Advaita Ashrams in Aluva founded in 1913 by Sree Narayana Guru, one of India's greatest social reformers adds to the cultural significance of the town. Aluva, home to the summer residency of the Travancore royal family - the Alwaye Palace.The important pilgrim centre and summer resort is located on the left bank of Periyar river, 25km.north –east of Kochi.The river is ideal for bathing here and is a popular picnic site. Another attraction is a Shivalingam on the sand bank. Popular tourist spots include: • Sivarathri Manappuram • Aluva Palace • Periyar banks • Municipal Park • Adwaitha Ashram • St.Dominic Church • Aluva Masjid • Sree Krishna Temple • Pottachira Sree Krishna Temple • Uliyannoor Sree Mahadeva Temple • Kunjunnikara Juma Masjid

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

St.Francis Church, Fort Kochi

 

 St Francis Church

 

The Fort Kochi area has perhaps the best preserved history of the colonial times. The Protestant Church here was built in 1503 by the Portuguese Franciscan friars and is believed to be the first church built by the Europeans in India. The church was originally made of wood, but was later rebuilt in stone in the mid -16the century.Vasco da Gama, the discoverer of sea route to India, died in Cochin in 1524 was buried here. After 14yrs , his mortal remains were taken to Portugal. The tombstone still lies in the church premises.

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Parade Ground

The large sports ground was once used by the colonial powers to conduct their regular military parades and drills. The building around the ground was occupied by the defence establishments.

The Bishop’s House

This stately structure on a small hillock near Parade Ground was built in 1506.It was the residence of the Portuguese Governor and is noted for the beautiful façade with large Gothic arches. It was taken over by the Dome Jos Gomes Ferreira, the 27th Bishop of the Diocese of Cochin whose jurisdiction extended over India, Burma, and Srilanka.

Fort Immanuel

This strategic fort was built in 1503 as a result of the alliance between the Maharaja of Cochin and the Monarch of Portugal. It was reinforced in 1538 and later passed into the hands of Dutch and then the British.Itwas destroyed by the British and today relics of this magnificent structure can be seen along the beach.

The Dutch Cemetery

The cemetery was consecrated in 1724 and has hundreds of tomb stones of the Europeans. It is an authentic proof to several chapters of colonial

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Santa Cruz Basilica Church

Santa Crus Basilica

The historic Roman Catholic Church near the St.Francis Church was built by the Portuguese. It was elevated to a Cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558.The Church was demolished by the British in 1795, when they captured Cochin. In 1887, a new building was constructed on the same site and was proclaimed a Basilica in 1984 by Pope John Paul II .The church has a rich collection of beautiful paintings.

Vasco House

This 16th century building is one of the earliest residences built in Fort Cochin and is said to be the house of Vasco da Gama.The typical European glass pane windows and balcony cum verandas of the building are noteworthy.

Vasco home stay is a unique heritage home stay facility with bed and breakfast, in the heart of Fort Cochin. The Vasco House is more than 500 years old and is believed to have been the residence of the famous explorer, Vasco da Gama until his death in 1524.

The picturesque heritage village of Fort Cochin was discovered by the Portuguese explorer. The Portuguese, Dutch and the British have etched their presence on this land. You can see the same in the architecture, cuisine and the lifestyle of this part of the city.

The rooms of Vasco house are large, with high wooden ceiling and large windows opening towards the historic St Francis Church where Vasco da Gama was buried. Two spacious rooms are meant for the guests. Both rooms have 2 double bed and single bed. We provide mosquito net, running hot and cold water, cable TV and for all there services that you can avail from the travel desk below.

 

VOC Gate

This large wooden gate was built in 1740.It faces the parade ground and is adorned with the monogram (VOC) of the Dutch East India Company.

Chinese Fishing Nets Fort Cochin-Vasco da Gama Square-Fort Kochi Beach - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

 

Chinese Fishing Nets

 

 Chinese Fishing Net Fort Cochin

These huge cantilevered fishing nets are the landmark of Malabar Coast. The nets were introduced between 1350 and 1450A.D. by traders from the Court of Kublai Khan in China. The nets set up on teak wood and bamboo poles can be seen along the entire stretch of the coast and are mainly used during the high tide.The system is sufficiently balanced that the weight of a man walking along the main beam is sufficient to cause the net to descend into the sea. The net is left for a short time, possibly just a few minutes, before it is raised by pulling on ropes. The catch is usually modest: a few fish and crustaceans — these may be sold to passers by within minutes.

 

Vasco da Gama Square

Affords the best view of these nets. The lovely sight of the nets in the evenings, when the Sun melts down into the waters of Arabian Sea is truly amazing. The square is also a great place to enjoy delightful sea food preparations and tender coconuts.

 

Fort Kochi Beach

The beautiful beach extends from Kamalakada to the entrance of Kochi Harbour. Along the beach are many colonial bungalow’s which retain the ambiance of the bygone era.

 

Ernakulathappan Temple - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

Ernakulam Shiva Temple

Ernakulam Shiva Temple

 

This sacred shrine is situated in the heart of the town, near the Cochin Cultural Centre and the Durbar Hall Ground. According to a legend, the idol here was installed by sage Nagarishi.It is one of the largest temple of the State and the annual temple festival held for eight days during the month of January.

The festival starts with Kodiyettam( hoisting of the temple flag ) on the first day evening. On the seventh day there is Pakalpooram, when the deity is being taken out in procession with caparisoned elephants with Panchavadyam and finally terminating at Durbar Hall Ground after the famous Pandimelam and colourful fire works. On the final day around evening, in a solemn ceremony the flag is lowered and the deity is then taken for the Arattu ( holy bath ) in the nearby temple tank. After that starts the famous Arattu procession with the accompaniment of Panchavadyam.

The procession ends at Durbar Hall Ground. The impressive fireworks then bring the curtain down to this weeklong festival. During all these days Sheeveli is arranged inside the temple and the best available Chendamelam artists are arranged for this. Special poojas connected with this festival are conducted everyday by famous priests from Chennose and Puliyannur Mana.

A variety of cultural programmes are also arranged during these days. Special emphasis is given to promote temple arts like Ottanthuallal, Paatakam, Thayambaka, Kathakali, Classical dances, Classical music concerts, Bhajans etc. Annadanam is also arranged. Thousands of people throng the temple for witnessing these programmes. Watching the Pakalpooram and Arattu processions will be an unforgettable experience for anybody. The adjacent Durbar Hall ground becomes a beehive of activities during the Uthsavom. Various stalls are set up here selling consumer items. Some companies use this festival week to introduce or market their products.

Mangalavanam Bird Sanctury - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

Mangalavanam Bird Sanctury

 

This mangrove forest in the heart of the town is located on the Dr.Salim Ali Road, just behind the High court building. It has a small bird sanctuary, which attracts many migratory birds throughout the year. Mangalavanam is an ecologically responsive area located at the centre of the city of Cochin. It is situated behind the Kerala High Court building. It is a nesting ground for a large variety of migratory birds and supports many types of mangroves. The Managalavanam is often regarded as the "green lung of Kochi", considering its role in keeping the city's air pollution under check. The area is a resting place for many kinds of resident and migratory birds.

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

St. Francis CSI Church

St Francis Church Kochi

 

 

St. Francis CSI Church, in Fort Cochin, It was at first built in 1503, is the oldest European church in India[ and has great historical importance as a mute witness to the European colonial fight in the subcontinent. The Portuguese navigator, Vasco da Gama, died in Kochi in 1524 when he was on his third visit to India. His body was originally buried in this church, but after fourteen years his remains were removed to Lisbon. The gravestone of Vasco da Gama can still be seen here. It is on the ground at the southern side. The gravestones of other Portuguese are on the northern sidewall and the Dutch on the southern wall. A cenotaph in memory of the residents of Kochi who fell in the World War I was erected in 1920.