Please Like & Share Us

FacebookMySpaceTwitterDiggDeliciousStumbleuponGoogle BookmarksRedditNewsvineTechnoratiLinkedinMixxRSS FeedPinterest
Pin It
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Marine Drive Cochin

 

Marine Drive Cochin

 

Marine Drive is a charming walkway in Cochin. It is built facing the backwaters, and is a popular hangout for the local populace and tourist as well. Ironic to its name, no vehicles are allowed on the walkway. Marine Drive is also one of the busy shopping centre in Cochin. With several shopping malls it is as an important centre of shopping activity in Kochi. Major fast food joints, including Marrybrown, DiMark, Coffee Bar are present along the walkway. The view of the setting and rising sun over the sea mouth, and the gentle breeze from the Vembanad Lake has made Marine Drive an important tourist destination in Kochi. Hundreds of people (both natives, and tourists) throng the walkway during the evenings. The walkway starts from the High Court Junction and continues until the Rajendra Maidan. There are also several boat jetties along the walkway. The walkway has three contemporarily constructed bridges, the Rainbow bridge, Chinese Fishing Net Bridge.and House boat bridge

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Pallippuram Fort

Pallippuram is a village on Vypeen island, in the Ernakulam. The village is situated about 25 k.m. from Ernakulam and 20 k.m. from Cochin International Airport. The east border is Veeranpuzha, the north extension of Vembanad Lake and the Indian Ocean in the west. In English, this place is known as "Palliport". Pallippuram Fort was constructed by the Portuguese in 1503 and is the ancient existing European fort in India. The Dutch conquered the fort in 1661 and sold it to the Kingdom of Travancore in 1789. This fort is situated in the northern extremity of the Vypeen island. This fort is in a hexagonal shape and popularly known as ayikkotta or Alikotta.

Bolghatty palace resort - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

Bolghatty Palace 

Bolghatty Palace

Bolghatty Palace is construct by the Dutch in India. It is located on the island popularly known as Bolghatty Island in Kochi, Kerala. One of the ancient existing Dutch palaces outside Holland, this quaint mansion, built in 1744 by Dutch traders, was later extended and gardens were landscaped around it. The building was then the Governor's palace for the commander of Dutch Malabar, and later in 1909 was leased to the British. It served as the home of the British Governors, being the seat of the British Resident of Cochin during the British regime.

In 1947, when India gained independence, the palace became the property of the state and was later converted into a heritage hotel resort. Bolgatty Palace now has a swimming pool, 9-hole golf course, ayurvedic centre and daily Kathakali performances and is a holiday destination for Indian and international tourists.

There is in a temple dedicated to Shiva that is the first of its kind in Kerala.

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive



Vypeen Island & Light House

Vypeen Light House

The western coast of Vypin has the best beach in Kochi namely, the Cherai Beach, Kuzhuppilly Beach and the Puthuvype Beach. The northern tip of Vypin (Munambam) has the largest fishing harbour in Kochi namely, the Munambam Fishing Harbour. Recently Puthuvype is became the major industrial hub in Kerala and the fastest growing city suburb i.e., the SPM project of the Kochi Refineries, the Puthuvyp LNG Terminal, IOC Bottling Plant and the proposed Oseanarium. There are 10 Light House in Kerala. One Of it is situated at PuthuvypBeach

It is one of the most densely populated islands of the country and the southern part of the island fall within the city limits. The light house is located at Ochanthuruth and affords an awe-inspiring view of the Kochi city and Aluva town.The island is accessible by boat services. There is a bridge which connects the northern end of the island to the mainland, but is about 21kms.from the city.

There are standard boat services from Fort Kochi to Vypin Island. In 2004 a bridge was built by Goshree Islands Development Authority (GIDA) and thus Vypin was connected to the main land. The Goshree bridges also connects the islands Mulavukad and Vallarpadam. The Vypin lighthouse or Cochin lighthouse is situated at Puthuvype in Vypin island, Kerala. Even though the current lighthouse started functioning only by 15 November 1979, the Cochin lighthouse has a long history. The lighthouse which was functioning in Fort Kochi from 1839 was shifted to Puthuvype in 1979.

Cherai Beach, Cochin - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

Cherai Beach, Cochin

 

Cherai Beach

 

Cherai beach is a fascinating beach, located on the north-end of the Vypeen Island is perfect for swimming. Lined with succulent green coconut groves and paddy fields, this sandy beach is a unique combination of the sea and the backwaters, studded with seashells of various hues and figures. Dolphines are occasionally seen here. Thick coconut groves and Chinese fishing nets on the waterfront are added attractions.


Cherai Beach is located in Vypin island, Kochi, India. Cherai Beach is just 25 km from Kochi, and 30 km from Cochin International Airport. The nearest towns are North Paravur (6 km) and Kodungallur (10 km) and the nearest railway station is Aluva

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Dutch  Palace, Mattanchery

 

Mattanchery Dutch Palace

Dutch  Palace, Mattanchery was established by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Kochi, Veera Kerala Varma in 1555. The rajas also made more expansion to it. Today, it is a representation gallery of the Cochin Royal family and notable for some of the best mythological murals in India, which are in the best traditions of Hindu temple art. The palace was built to calm down the king after they plundered a temple nearby. The Palace was later taken over by the Dutch and renovations were made after which it came to be known as the Dutch Palace. The palace is a quadrangular structure built in typical Kerala Nalukettu fashion,  with a courtyard in the middle. In the courtyard there is  a  temple dedicated to 'Pazhayannur Bhagavati', the defending goddess of the Kochi royal family. There are two more temples on both sides of the Palace, one dedicated to Lord Krishna and the other to Lord Siva. Certain elements of architecture, as for example the nature of its arches and the proportion of its chambers are indicative of European influence in basic Nāluketttu style.

The palace is decorated with excellent murals portray scenes from Ramayana, Mahabharata and other mythological figures. Royal costumes, palanquins and other royal  memorabilia are also displayed here. The dining Hall has carved wooden ornate ceiling decorated with a series of brass cups. The palace also contains rare examples of traditional Kerala flooring, which looks like polished black marble but is actually a mixture of burned coconut shells, charcoal, lime, plant juices and egg whites.

Portraits of the Rajas of Cochin, from 1864 onwards, are displayed in what was once the Coronation Hall. These were painted by local artists in western style. The ceiling of the hall is decorated with floral designs in wood craft. Amongst the other exhibits in the palace are an ivory palanquin, a howdah, royal umbrellas, ceremonial dress used by the royalty, coins, stamps and drawings.

 

The Koonan Kurishu Chapel,Mattanchery - 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 review

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

The Koonan Kurishu Chapel,Mattanchery

 Koonan Kurishu Palli

The Portuguese traders who came to India started missionary works in Cochin which became a achievement. The Portuguese built the Our Lady of Life Church in Mattancherry, which was a main centre of trade that time and a chapel devoted to the Holy Cross. The chapel was made in A.D. 1550.Coonan Kurisu (Bent Cross)Palli (Church) or Holy Cross church - is a place of historical importance and faith for the believers. Historical importance of this church is when St. Thomas, disciple of Jesus Christ landed in Kerala in A.D 52, he could convert a good number of local inhabitants to Christianity. He also established 7 churches in Kerala. The present Christian population claims its descent from this early origin. They are known as Syrian Christains in view of the Syrian liturgy used in church services since the early days of Christanity in India. They are popularly known as Nazranis (followers of Jesus of Nazerene). Christanity thrived in Kerala because of the benevolence and tolerance of the Travancore rulers. When Portuguese arrived they were successful and eager to bring the Christians under the Church of Rome.

But when their power declined, the hold of Roman Catholic Church also weakened. After that about 25,000 Syrian Christians reaffirmed their allegiance to the Syrian orthodox tradition in front of an improvised cross at Mattancherry known as Coonan Kurisu satyam (oath) This small church attracts hordes of believers irrespective of the caste, creed and religion. They offer worship by lighting the candles and it is believed that every single wish gets fulfilled here.

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Jewish Synagogue 

Kochi_Jewish_Synagogue-Mattanchery

 

Jewish Synagogue Mattanchery is also known as The Paradesi Synagogue is the ancient live synagogue in the Commonwealth of Nations. Jewish Synagogue Mattanchery was built in 1568 and it is one of the oldest synagogues in India. it is one of seven synagogues of the Malabar Yehudan community or Cochin Jewish community in the Kingdom of Cochin. Paradesi is a expression used in several Indian languages, and the literal gist of the term is "foreigners", applied to the synagogue because it was built by Sephardic or Spanish-speaking Jews, some of them from families exiled in Aleppo, Safed and other West Asian localities. It is also referred to as the Kochi Jewish Synagogue or the Mattancherry Synagogue.


The synagogue was partially damaged during the Portuguese raid in 1662 and was renovated by the Dutch. The clock tower was later supplementary to the structure in the mid -18th century and the floors were paved with exquisite hand – painted blue willow tiles from China. The Great Scrolls of the Old Testament, the copper plates depicting the grants of privilege made by the Kochi rulers, Hebrew inscriptions on stone slabs and other ancient artifacts are some of the evidences of the Jewish history stored over here. The township around the Synagogue is also known for spice trade and curio shops dealing in antiques as well as rare glass and beads.

Jew Town,Mattanchery


The synagogue is situated in the area of Old Cochin identified as Jew Town, and is the only one of the seven synagogues in the region still in use. The complex has four buildings. It was built nearby to the Mattancherry Palace temple on the land given to the Malabari Jew community by the Raja of Kochi, Rama Varma. The Mattancherry Palace temple and the Mattancherry synagogue share a common wall.