St.Francis Church, Fort Kochi
The Fort Kochi area has perhaps the best preserved history of the colonial times. The Protestant Church here was built in 1503 by the Portuguese Franciscan friars and is believed to be the first church built by the Europeans in India. The church was originally made of wood, but was later rebuilt in stone in the mid -16the century.Vasco da Gama, the discoverer of sea route to India, died in Cochin in 1524 was buried here. After 14yrs , his mortal remains were taken to Portugal. The tombstone still lies in the church premises.