Pallippuram is a village on Vypeen island, in the Ernakulam. The village is situated about 25 k.m. from Ernakulam and 20 k.m. from Cochin International Airport. The east border is Veeranpuzha, the north extension of Vembanad Lake and the Indian Ocean in the west. In English, this place is known as "Palliport". Pallippuram Fort was constructed by the Portuguese in 1503 and is the ancient existing European fort in India. The Dutch conquered the fort in 1661 and sold it to the Kingdom of Travancore in 1789. This fort is situated in the northern extremity of the Vypeen island. This fort is in a hexagonal shape and popularly known as ayikkotta or Alikotta.